“Curcumin, an active component of Turmeric may be helpful in treating a variety of inflammatory conditions including Crohn’s Disease and Rheumatoid Arthritis”
Simple Turmeric Latte with Ginger
- 1 cup (+2 tbsp) milk or milk alternative (milk with a fat content works best*)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root peeled and minced
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric root peeled and minced
- 1 tsp coconut oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- dash sea salt
- Heat the milk or milk alternative in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring it just before the boiling point. You shouldn't see bubbles forming, but instead some small movement in the liquid. Remove from heat.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, coconut oil, maple syrup and the salt into a small blender (I use a Nutri Bullet but a Magic Bullet would work just fine). Add 2 tbsp of milk to help the mixture blend better. Blend the mixture until the ginger and turmeric make a nice liquid puree.
- Next, add the warmed milk to the blender. Blend for 5 seconds or less, no longer because the warmed liquid will create a negative pressure and the lid of the blender will be difficult to remove.
- You have an option to strain it, but I prefer to not. When you pour the drink, a nice foam should form on the top layer. Taste and adjust for sweetness.
*Choosing a milk alternative with a higher fat content makes for a more creamy late. I like using Pea Milk. Organic would work too. I have also made it with my Homemade Hemp Milk Recipe.
Make it vegan: Use milk alternatives, and maple syrup in place of honey.
Add more protein: Use Pea Milk, Soy Milk or Homemade Hemp Milk which are higher in protein than other milk alternatives.
Boost the nutrients: Try adding double the amount of fresh ginger and turmeric for a stronger and more nutrient-dense drink.
Rachel Dickens, The Conscious Dietitian, is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator. She graduated with her Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics in 2010 from Griffith University. She strives to provide evidence-based nutrition information with a focus on plant-based nutrition, and share some of her favourite seasonal recipes and sustainable eating tips.